1. Do you recognize this Cat in the Hat?? This was our surprise reader on Family Literacy Day! This is Dave Kelly known to many of us from the Morning Breakfast Show and just recently at the Lunchbox Theatre. We talked to Dave about his work in television and in theatre and the connection to literacy and the importance of being able to read and write. He read the story the “Interrupting Chicken” by David Ezra Stein and used such great voices that we were all engaged in the story and we laughed a lot. What a fun day as students worked with their buddies and engaged in literacy activities!
2. Wildwood School received a generous grant from Education Matters (EM) towards the purchase of books and resources for classrooms and the Library Learning Commons (LLC). The staff is working to create a list of books that they would like to purchase to compliment resources in classrooms. As well, as we prepare our ‘wish lists’, if there are any specific titles or series parents/guardians would recommend for us to consider
in the LLC, please email Mrs. Hilda Bakuska at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link for more information -www.educationmatters.ca
3. Report cards will be coming home this Friday in a white envelope that needs to be signed and returned to indicate you received the envelope. Celebrate your child’s successes and growth and then set goals for the next term.
4. Parents of Grade 4 students should have received the Accountability Survey last week. Wildwood School has made concerted efforts to improve on this survey from our past results. It is critical that you are aware that the percentage of satisfied respondents is based on the total number of respondents. “Don’t know” responses count in the same category as the dissatisfied or very dissatisfied responses. You therefore, have two options:
a. Answer “don’t know” if you wish your response to count as a negative response.
- Skip the individual question if you don’t know the answer but don’t want the response to count as a negative one.
6. Kokomo Beach Blast 2016 – This is the 22nd year for Kokomo Beach. Our students remember this for years to come. They have so much fun as they play games, eat and dance the night away (at least until 8:30). We are gearing up for our ‘FUN-raiser’ on Friday, February 26th. Like any great event it can only happen with volunteers and we need lots. There is a list of duties/jobs to fill. These jobs are all done in shifts, 1st shift - 5:45 – 7:00 & 2nd shift - 6:45 – 9:00. There are also jobs that happen before and after the event - set up 12:30-4 & take down 8:45-9:45. See the attachment that lists the jobs to volunteer for!
7. Kindergarten Registration for 2016-2017 ongoing!
8. Reading Tip –ABC Life Literacy Canada encourages family to 15 minutes of Fun learning together every day! See the attachment for 15 activities for 2016 to have fun with your family!
Have a great weekend!
Darren and Renée